The time is quickly approaching where the idea of seasonal play here at Global Warfighter... goes beyond just a conversation. There are current plans to bring leagues (seasonal play) to Global Warfighter. Those members that frequent our site have seen the "Leagues" tab on their respective competition pages. There hasn't been anything listed as of yet (other than when we've tested the system) but there is indeed a league system already in place at GWL.
Our gaming league has always looked to the community to cater our competition to the needs and wants of the community and bringing seasonal play here will be no different.
There's an opportunity here to create league play unique to GWL in it's format and gameplay. Standard league play has it's place of course... but if there was something you could change... something you could add... a format you could try... what would it be? We want to hear your ideas. There's a couple things we've tossed around and we'd like some input from our community.
- Standard league play has teams competing against each other for a set period of time (a season). Weekly play (one match a week) with every team playing the same map for that week. What's the thoughts on teams making up matches? No make up? One week to make up the match? One month? All season to make up matches?
- From week to week... teams will be playing each other in a rotation that enables all the teams to play against each other for an equal amount of times (as close as possible depending on the size of the season of course). There's a couple ways this rotation can take place. Randomly... removing teams you've already played off the random list so they don't come up for a match again until you've played all the teams and the cycle starts again. Another way is to base the seating of teams on their wins and losses for the season or on skill points for teams similar to the way we seat and match teams for tournament brackets. We could also do it systematically. Two lists of teams... and simply rotate the second list by putting the bottom team on the top of the list every week... effectively rotating the teams one week at a time.
- While the previous two points have to be hashed out before we can discuss this third, we can still discuss this idea. What are the thoughts of being able to play matches ahead of schedule? Effectively scheduling and playing matches before that particular week comes up for play. For instance... if we did the rotation systematically.. you could see who you're going to play next week. Why not schedule that match now... and play when your team can... rather than wait for that week to come up? The current league system in place at GWL allows for up to 4 matches per team at one time. Is this a direction teams would be interested in, or the standard 1 team per week is enough?
- How do we handle byes. It's easy enough to say we just won't take an odd number of teams to start off the league season, but suppose a team drops out mid season? Who gets a bye? Rotate the bye based on what? points.. random.. systematic rotation?
- How do we want to seat the playoffs? The same way we seat the tournaments only based on the league playing season?
- Should there be a default day/time to play the match? For instance... Teams could negotiate to any day of the week, but if an agreement can't be reached... the default day/time (maybe Sunday 8:00 PM) would stand as the time to play. That sort of thing.
Just a few things to get the conversation rolling. Everyone's input is welcome of course... and encouraged. We're a community of gamers for gamers. How do we want to compete in seasonal play?
Posted by: triphamm3r