Upcoming

Upcoming

Archived

Archived

Archived

Archived
Leagues come to Global Warfighter

March 2, 2011, 3:24 am

The time is quickly approaching where the idea of seasonal play here at Global Warfighter... goes beyond just a conversation. There are current plans to bring leagues (seasonal play) to Global Warfighter. Those members that frequent our site have seen the "Leagues" tab on their respective competition pages. There hasn't been anything listed as of yet (other than when we've tested the system) but there is indeed a league system already in place at GWL.

Our gaming league has always looked to the community to cater our competition to the needs and wants of the community and bringing seasonal play here will be no different.

There's an opportunity here to create league play unique to GWL in it's format and gameplay. Standard league play has it's place of course... but if there was something you could change... something you could add... a format you could try... what would it be? We want to hear your ideas. There's a couple things we've tossed around and we'd like some input from our community.

1. Standard league play has teams competing against each other for a set period of time (a season). Weekly play (one match a week) with every team playing the same map for that week. What's the thoughts on teams making up matches? No make up? One week to make up the match? One month? All season to make up matches?

2. From week to week... teams will be playing each other in a rotation that enables all the teams to play against each other for an equal amount of times (as close as possible depending on the size of the season of course). There's a couple ways this rotation can take place. Randomly... removing teams you've already played off the random list so they don't come up for a match again until you've played all the teams and the cycle starts again. Another way is to base the seating of teams on their wins and losses for the season or on skill points for teams similar to the way we seat and match teams for tournament brackets. We could also do it systematically. Two lists of teams... and simply rotate the second list by putting the bottom team on the top of the list every week... effectively rotating the teams one week at a time.

3. While the previous two points have to be hashed out before we can discuss this third, we can still discuss this idea. What are the thoughts of being able to play matches ahead of schedule? Effectively scheduling and playing matches before that particular week comes up for play. For instance... if we did the rotation systematically.. you could see who you're going to play next week. Why not schedule that match now... and play when your team can... rather than wait for that week to come up? The current league system in place at GWL allows for up to 4 matches per team at one time. Is this a direction teams would be interested in, or the standard 1 team per week is enough?

4. How do we handle byes. It's easy enough to say we just won't take an odd number of teams to start off the league season, but suppose a team drops out mid season? Who gets a bye? Rotate the bye based on what? points.. random.. systematic rotation?

5. How do we want to seat the playoffs? The same way we seat the tournaments only based on the league playing season?

6. Should there be a default day/time to play the match? For instance... Teams could negotiate to any day of the week, but if an agreement can't be reached... the default day/time (maybe Sunday 8:00 PM) would stand as the time to play. That sort of thing.

Just a few things to get the conversation rolling. Everyone's input is welcome of course... and encouraged. We're a community of gamers for gamers. How do we want to compete in seasonal play?

Posted by: triphamm3r

Comments

Page 1 of 3

There should ABSOLUTELY be a default date/time for matches in case a time before that has not been established. Without this seasonal play is not going to go far.

Playoff seating should be based on win/loss record, and then based off of points (In something like Black Ops anyways) to determine where tied teams go.

1 team per week is good enough. It sets a good schedule that lets players and admins plan ahead.

The only matches I feel should be able to be made up is playoffs (MAYBE) and finals. If you do this with everyone, it will cause a more relaxed scheduling plan and mess up when matches are played. A team should recruit and plan on default times. If they can't make default then they shouldn't be playing competitively.

Regular season play should be within divisions. Within those divisions, teams play round robin style; everyone plays everyone. From there, the top team goes to the playoffs, and then teams with the second best records in their division are given wild card spots (the amount of divisions will determine this) based on the same criteria as the top teams.

triphamm3r wrote:

• 1. Standard league play has teams competing against each other for a set period of time (a season). Weekly play (one match a week) with every team playing the same map for that week. What's the thoughts on teams making up matches? No make up? One week to make up the match? One month? All season to make up matches?
I would grant extensions on a case by case basis. A hard limit should be one week, such as Monday to Monday as we do in tournaments. If we look at matchcoms and find that neither team is being unreasonable, just having a hard time finding times, that would be a good way to judge whether an extension should be granted.

• 2. From week to week... teams will be playing each other in a rotation that enables all the teams to play against each other for an equal amount of times (as close as possible depending on the size of the season of course). There's a couple ways this rotation can take place. Randomly... removing teams you've already played off the random list so they don't come up for a match again until you've played all the teams and the cycle starts again. Another way is to base the seating of teams on their wins and losses for the season or on skill points for teams similar to the way we seat and match teams for tournament brackets. We could also do it systematically. Two lists of teams... and simply rotate the second list by putting the bottom team on the top of the list every week... effectively rotating the teams one week at a time.
I wouldn't recommend doing it exactly that way. We should come up with a scheduling system that would schedule similarly ranked teams against each other. You're right about setting it so that no teams can play each other more than once in a season. We'd set that so the top two teams wouldn't be playing each other every week. This would obviously result in rolls early in the season while rankings would be figured out, but by the end of the season, or even a few weeks in, matchups should be a lot closer.

• 3. While the previous two points have to be hashed out before we can discuss this third, we can still discuss this idea. What are the thoughts of being able to play matches ahead of schedule? Effectively scheduling and playing matches before that particular week comes up for play. For instance... if we did the rotation systematically.. you could see who you're going to play next week. Why not schedule that match now... and play when your team can... rather than wait for that week to come up? The current league system in place at GWL allows for up to 4 matches per team at one time. Is this a direction teams would be interested in, or the standard 1 team per week is enough?
We could do that, but I'd hesitate to let it be a standard practice. Either way, I don't think teams would do that since they typically take the week we give them to scrim the map for that week. The time they might is when the next week would be hard for them to make, but other than that, I know that my team would definitely take advantage of the practice time given to us.

• 4. How do we handle byes. It's easy enough to say we just won't take an odd number of teams to start off the league season, but suppose a team drops out mid season? Who gets a bye? Rotate the bye based on what? points.. random.. systematic rotation?
I would just make it random with no team getting a bye more than once.

• 5. How do we want to seat the playoffs? The same way we seat the tournaments only based on the league playing season?
Win/Loss would probably be the easiest, with tiebreakers being head-to-head, rounds won, rounds lost, then flip a coin from there. Another idea would be to come up with a ranking system that judges strength of schedule with your wins.

• 6. Should there be a default day/time to play the match? For instance... Teams could negotiate to any day of the week, but if an agreement can't be reached... the default day/time (maybe Sunday 8:00 PM) would stand as the time to play. That sort of thing.
    Just a few things to get the conversation rolling. Everyone's input is welcome of course... and encouraged. We're a community of gamers for gamers. How do we want to compete in seasonal play?
A default time should be included, but I wouldn't force it on teams if they can't make it one week. Otherwise there would be no need for a ruling on extensions.

**Plo~Koon** wrote:

The only matches I feel should be able to be made up is playoffs (MAYBE) and finals. If you do this with everyone, it will cause a more relaxed scheduling plan and mess up when matches are played. A team should recruit and plan on default times. If they can't make default then they shouldn't be playing competitively.
I disagree with this, there will always be those times that teams can't make the default time for whatever reason. Make up matches shouldn't apply anyways since I don't see a reason why a regular season match would be postponed to any other point in the season unless it's just a normal extension. Don't punish teams when they haven't done anything wrong.

Regular season play should be within divisions. Within those divisions, teams play round robin style; everyone plays everyone. From there, the top team goes to the playoffs, and then teams with the second best records in their division are given wild card spots (the amount of divisions will determine this) based on the same criteria as the top teams.
The only time teams should be split into separate divisions are when there's enough teams to cause a large skill gap between the higher teams and lower teams, or when there are too many teams within a single skill division. If you make a ton of divisions with only the top two teams coming out of each division, that allows for too many teams to be cut out of the playoffs even though they're better than teams that actually make it. A group could get stacked with 4 of the best teams in the league, and then two teams would get screwed out of the playoffs. The exact opposite could happen as well with no good teams in a group and then two completely undeserving teams make the playoffs.

Last edited by StingerPA on March 2, 2011, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

May i first start out by saying its a shame this league isn't well known , this is by far the most democratic(almost direct democracy) league out there and easiest to use.

First bullet,
-A makeup time should be added (1 week , no exceptions)
-1 match for peek
-If both teams cannot play a match for 2 weeks reschedule to last game of season

Second Bullet,
-The matches should be random OR
-The team with the lowest and highest W/L ratio gets to choose there schedule.(That would be difficult with several teams more than 5 per say)
Third Bullet,
-I think a maximum of two matches can be played week.(The Actual scheduled match and make Up)
- I think each team should have their own schedule so they will know who they r vsing the next week or the MATCHES MUST BE GIVEN AT THE START OF THE WEEK!
Fourth Bullet,
-If a team drops out the other teams should get wins, simple as that and maybe penalty points?
Fifth Bullet,
-Seperate the two best teams put 1 at top 1 in bottom vsing medium level teams
Then the 2nd best teams vs medium level
And the worsts vs the worsts.
-Or completely random
Sixth Bullet,
-What stinger said

If GWL does get enough teams to switch to leagues we should go into soccer format.
Top 2 teams go up to A league and 2 go down.
And the playoffs should be like the FA cup every1 has a shot.
Upsets r the best!

[GFAQ]StingerPA wrote:

**Plo~Koon** wrote:

I disagree with this, there will always be those times that teams can't make the default time for whatever reason. Make up matches shouldn't apply anyways since I don't see a reason why a regular season match would be postponed to any other point in the season unless it's just a normal extension. Don't punish teams when they haven't done anything wrong.

My reasoning behind this that teams should have an entire week prior to the default time to schedule in case they can't make default. Did you think that I meant that teams should only be allowed to play on default?

I just don't think makeup matches should exist. You would always have a week to schedule the match, and then possibly an extension if both teams had issues on agreeing to a time. After that, it should just be set as a tie or something to that effect if the teams still couldn't find a time.

^This.

If in the course of a week two teams can't get together and play, then neither team gets a point that they could've gotten in the long run. It's fairly simple.

[GFAQ]StingerPA wrote:

I just don't think makeup matches should exist. You would always have a week to schedule the match, and then possibly an extension if both teams had issues on agreeing to a time. After that, it should just be set as a tie or something to that effect if the teams still couldn't find a time.

Oh...alright. I agree with you then. For some reason I thought you were for makeup matches throughout the season, lol.

You should only have a week to make up a match and it must be applied the week after...so immediately. IMO

extension dates for scheduling should really depend on the size of the team. I say if the team roster is < 5 then one week, if => then two weeks.

exactly what games would this be for?

mYers wrote:

extension dates for scheduling should really depend on the size of the team. I say if the team roster is < 5 then one week, if => then two weeks.

exactly what games would this be for?

TF2, CoD series

thanks plo

It would probably be for any game that we wanted it to be on. We could put it on TF2, CoD, CA, even SCII. The options are there for us to take if we can get the basics down here.

1.Agree with Ven. One week to make up, allowing for a max of two games a week. What stinger said about being reasonable also sounds good, but I could see that leading to drama too :\
2.I think random would be the best. This isn?t a tournament, so I?d want to play every team.
3.Being able to play ahead of time would be nice. I don?t see why not.
4.I would just rotate byes. Giving out by points could mean that one team doesn?t play for a whole month. Byes aren?t the active teams? fault, so I feel like we should distribute the burden equally.
5.I think seating based on the playing season would be nice. Alternative is to seat round-robins based on the season, which would make the tournament really long. I don?t personally mind that, but it just allows for more complications.
6.I think there should be a default time. If both teams miss it, then they have one week to make up for it. If only one team misses it, I think it should be left to the discretion of the other team. Forcing a make-up time wouldn?t be fair for the team that made it to the default time.

Sorry if someone already mentioned what I said, but I didn?t feel like reading everyone else?s posts.

I havent said a whole lot about this yet, because I really dont care much HOW we do the seasonal gameplay. But seriously, we need this for swbf2, too. It would bring back the competition a bit.

Page 1 of 3

Comment

Downloads

SWBF2 Server Patch v1.5By [SL]Sprite, April 8, 2014, 9:45 pm
Patched BattlefrontII.exe server fileBy triphamm3r, September 14, 2011, 10:22 pm
SWBF2 Version Verification Tool (GWL LauBy [SL]Sprite, October 27, 2010, 8:09 am
GWL 6v6 Server Config FilesBy StingerPA, July 25, 2009, 2:45 am
Growler GunCamBy triphamm3r, April 7, 2009, 3:44 am
Here are a few resources My Tribes 2 WarBy EC_Lee, March 16, 2009, 3:02 am
+123 Mod v2.2By triphamm3r, February 27, 2008, 3:19 am
Squeddie's Map PackBy triphamm3r, August 19, 2007, 1:00 am
SWBF2 Server ApplicationsBy triphamm3r, August 19, 2007, 12:53 am
SWBF2 Official 1.1 PatchBy triphamm3r, August 16, 2007, 5:20 am